Ms. Ila Dee Newsome was born October 26, 1920, to Mr. William L. Newsome and Catherine Goodloe-Newsome in Colbert County, Cherokee, Alabama. She and her brother William N. Newsome grew up on a 10-acre farm on old route 72 Lee Highway, in this quaint town of Northwest Alabama. Her grandparents, Mr. Paul & Tempe Goodloe, as well Grandpa Mr. Noah Newsome lived a little way up the road.
Good ole country living included drawing fresh water from the well, fishing, hunting, picking cotton (for pay), raising cows, pigs, chickens, riding horses and having a few pet dogs. The long walks on old route 72 visiting family, was the way of life.
The Newsome family attended Jerusalem Missionary Baptist Church where Ila Dee proclaimed her faith and was baptized at the age of 15 years. She sang in the church choir and joined a group known as the sunshine band.
She attended Cherokee Rosenwald School grade K-12 and graduated at the top of her class. Her favorite subjects were reading and English. She took drama classes and enjoyed playing basketball, softball, and volleyball.
Ms. Ila Dee's favorite song artist was Nat King Cole. Her favorite church songs were "Near the Cross", and "Amazing Grace".
• Early 1940's she took a cosmetology course in Memphis TN; this is where she met a dear friend, Jesse Scruggs.
• 1947, she followed her brother William to Akron, OH. Ms. Ila Dee worked in a laundry service and at Firestone making battery casings.
• 1950's she moved to Cleveland, married Jesse Scruggs. She attended and graduated from Mt. Sinai Nursing School.
• 1960's she resided with brother and family while working at Mt. Sinai dressed in her nurse' whites head to toe. One of her and ours (nephew & nieces) favored times were going to Euclid Beach Amusement Park on the St. Clair No. 1 bus. She enjoyed being around and caring for children.
• Late 1960's - Ms. Ila Dee moved to Flint, Michigan and worked as a nurse for 15 years.
• 1975 she moved to Detroit, MI and continued her nurse profession at Holy Cross Hospital for 12 years. She retired early to take care of her Mother, and uncle, Carrie Goodloe.
Ila Dee was a community activist and icon: - Dubay Ave Street Club, and an active member at New Jerusalem Baptist Church. She coordinated the swim-mobile and summer bible school for children of the neighborhood. She loved and embraced neighboring the families Hollingsworth, Banes, Wilson, and other families as her own. They were her village and endeared loving grandma. Harry (beloved son from another mother) other than God almighty, was her lifeline. Ms. Ila Dee's Detroit caregiver, Anita Flyy was her right hand & road dog.
On Monday, May 2, 2022, Ms. Ila Dee Newsome-Scruggs spirit departed from her earthly body and became present with the Lord. At the time of passing, she was a patient at the Suburban Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center in North Randall, Ohio.
Predeceased primary family: parents, William L. Newsome, Catherine Goodloe-Newsome and, brother, William N. Newsome Sr. (Artanda Pride-Newsome). Jesse Scruggs.
Family left to cherish her memory: Veronica & Essie-(Scruggs family). Nephew, William Newsome Jr., niece, Gail Newsome-Underwood.
Great Nephews: Asa Newsome Sr., Larry Underwood Jr., Martin Daniels Jr.
Great Nieces: Lashana Underwood, LaKischa Berts (Kelly Berts, deceased), Dacia Darmond (Demetrius Darmond Sr.),
Great-Great Nephews: Asa Newsome Jr, James E. Bankole, Langston Berts, Jonathan Newsome, Kimani Underwood, Seth Underwood, Caleb W. G. Smith, Malik Garrett, Demitrius Darmond Jr., Darius Darmond, Damone Darmond, Antonio James
Great-Great Nieces: Bria Berts, Kellysyana Berts, Myckal Bean, Demeshia Darmond, Camille Newsome.
Great Great-Great Niece: Arielle S. Newsome.
Endeared Loving Cousins: Corlis Newsome, Michael & Larry Lightfoot, Mildred Goodloe, Pam Moore, Thomas Moore, Paul Cooper Marvin Godfrey, Ruthann & James Eady family, Doris Fant and family, Serita Eady and family, Quanita Watkins-Abel (103 years old). A host of other loving cousins.
The Beloved Detroit Family Village: Harry & Denise Hollingsworth, Trell Banes (Beloved Granddaughter) and family, Anita & Marnesha Flyy, Ruby Wilson and family, Ms. Denard and family, Barb Bennet, Dr. Frank & Karen Vesprini family, Edith Floyd, Linda and Nookie, Mr. Joe (The Electrician). A Host of Other Detroit Villagers.
To send flowers to the family or plant a tree in memory of Ila Dee (Newsome) Scruggs, please visit our floral store.